Hey there, how are you.
I had been asked to make two small drawstring bags for the Other Half. He was playing a game and needed something to shake dice in that was also big enough to put his hand into and take said dice out again.
I didn’t have any thing suitable in my normal stash and had to look else where for fabric.
Eventually I spotted a small pile of T-shirts on their way to the recycling pile. I picked out two with designs that would suit the game he was playing and cut a wide rectangle from each.
Sewing jersey fabric is not easy because of the stretchiness of the fabric. I dont have an overlocking machine and using a straight stitch doesn’t allow for any stretch in the fabric.
I do have an overlocking stitch on my sewing machine though so that is what I used for the seams, then trimmed a few millimetres away from the seam edge with some sharp scissors.(I could have sewn over the raw edge but sometimes I find it puckers and pulls too tight giving it a very untidy appearance.)
After lots of messing about I have finally mastered the buttonhole foot and can now make lovely automatic buttonholes. Whoot whoot! (this has taken me almost ten years to master!) I put one buttonhole into each side to take the string before using the overlocking stitch for both turning down the top and as decoration on the outside.
I didn’t have any ribbon or cord for the strings so I cut two 1/2 inch strips from each T-shirt and pulled them lengthwise till they curled around each other then stitched across the top using a wide zigzag stitch. This made a nice cord strong enough to be pulled and with enough give in it to prevent any breaking. There is a small knot at the end of each to secure them.
I know these are just two simple bags but I have learned quite a bit about working with stretchy jersey fabrics and boosted my confidence along the way. (also I learned to use the dreaded buttonhole foot)
Thanks for stopping by. Till next time have fun x