Hi there, how are you?
This is the final week for world watercolour month 2018.
Throughout the month I had missed a few days but wanted to finish the challenge properly so I completed the last two or three at the beginning of August.
Lavender – I liked the idea of this one but the drawing let it down (more practice needed)
Californian poppies – we we’re back from holiday and I was sure these would have all gone to seed but no! Amazingly they were still flowering away, I’ll save some seeds and hope for more next year.
Penguins – I had a random idea for penguins in my sketchbook as I knew that would be the theme for pinch punch post (a monthly twitter challenge )so I used it for both challenges, kind of a two-fer.
Flamingos – it was our wedding anniversary so I wanted to paint something romantical to use on a card. I had a few ideas (see next two posts) I ended up using the flamingos because the shape of the necks resembled a heart.
Seahorses – I drew two (see #4 above) I kept it to three colours to stop it getting too muddy and painted it wet in wet. I love how the colours wicked into each other on this one.
Puffins – I’ve wanted to draw puffins for a while and really enjoyed painting this one.
Pigeon – I had a picture left over for ideas and he was so cute. This was #32, I painted it while I was painting the puffins because I could see myself starting to fiddle and I didn’t want to spoil it so free extra pigeon hehe.
So, world watercolour month has finished for another year and this time I managed all of it whoop whoop!
Looking back I can see some didn’t live up to the idea in my head, the idea was OK but the execution was poor.
Getting used to the paper was interesting; from week three I have been using cold press 100% cotton paper. It’s quite a leap and I think I will need a lot more practice with it before I feel comfortable using it.
I have some pages left in the little booklet I made and another empty one made up so I will persevere.
Things to work on: I need to work on colour mixing in general but particularly greens; I managed to make some real poke in the eye acid greens (not the effect I was going for).
Colours are brighter and clearer on this paper so I need to take note of that and learn to mute them down a bit in some places.
All in all I have enjoyed this challenge a lot; I can see arty improvements are being made slowly whoot!
Click on the links below to check out previous weeks
Congratulations to everybody who took part in any way, more arting has to be a good thing and it was all for a good cause. Also I would like to thank every one for all of the support, encouragement and kindness along the way.
I’m definitely looking forward to the next one.
Thanks for taking the time to stop by today. Till next time, have fun x